Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Top 5 books of 2014.

At the beginning of 2014 I wrote a post about the top 5 books that I read in 2013 (I'll put a link to this post at the bottom). I decided, since mostly all I seem to do is read, and the year is coming to a close, to do another for 2014.

1. My favourite book that I read this year is 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky.



This book was an experience for me that I want to re-live over and over again. It's a coming of age story which follows the main character 'Charlie' through his transition to High School and how he copes. He goes through the typical teenage stuff, friends, fallouts, girlfriends, music, family arguments, and the like. But Charlie is different to most kids. He's quiet, and clever, and wonderfully thoughful. This story of a short time in his life is heartwarmingly honest, and heartbreakingly tragic.
I'd give this book 10/10. My all-time favourite.

2. 'The Collector' by John Fowles.



This book is one I was assigned to read for class. I enjoyed it immensely and found that whilst reading it I couldn't put it down. It's not at all a light-hearted coming-of-age story like the books I usually read. It's dark, and confusing, and the main character is misunderstood, and very dangerous. It's a definite must-read for anyone who likes a thriller. This book from me gets a 8/10.

3. 'If I Stay' by Gayle Forman.



This is a book which I read because I saw the trailer for the movie and it seemed like something I'd enjoy. Admittedly I haven't yet seen the movie, I will do in time but the book was so incredible. The protagonist 'Mia' is caught in a world of confusion and loss and the book isn't about how she overcomes difficulty, it's about her deciding whether she should. I found this book so insightful and so thought provoking. It's only quite a short book too so it's perfect for someone who isn't a huge reader. Overall, 9.5/10.

4. 'Paper Towns' by John Green.



Already a fan of John Green, having read 'The Fault in our Stars' and 'Looking for Alaska' I was keen to give this a read. I was so happy to hear it was being made in to a film! I found this story one that I struggled to put down when reading and I didn't want it to end. I was slightly disappointed with the ending, having said that I feel it was the best thing to happen to the characters. It also comments on this thing we all do, where our admiration for someone makes them in to something more than human, in our eyes. We put people on pedestals and then are let down when they don't live up to our expectations. This book taught me that it's important to remember that everyone is flawed, everyone is human. 8.5/10 from me.

5. 'Slated' by Teri Terry.


This book is the first in a series, and I haven't actually read the next two yet. I'd describe this book as a cross between fantasy and sci-fi because it takes place in a dystopic future (around 2050 in England) where a war has caused consequences for the entire country. Kyla, the main character is an interesting protagonist because the reader follows her experience of re-learning how to live an ordinary life, and the trials and tribulations of not knowing who she can trust. I'd give this book 8.5/10, I found it gripping, and can't wait to get my teeth in to the next two!



Here is last year's post - Top 5 books/book series of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment