Thursday, 5 March 2015

World Book Day! My Book Recommendations.


Today (March 5th 2015) is World Book Day!

As a huge literature fan, and just a fan of all things story-based, World Book Day is kind of a big deal. One day I hope to celebrate WBD with my own published novel, but until then, I'm just going to do a run-down of the best books of three genres in my opinion, and why I recommend them :)

You can read about my favourite book from 2013 and 2014, where there are some more in-depth synopses and reviews of some of the books I am going to talk about.


Children's Literature

This is a big category for me, I think it's so important that children read while they're growing up, because they can learn so much and have so much fun doing it.

1. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling.

Always always always will I recommend Harry Potter. Starting at the beginning is crucial, however don't start them too young because the books get much darker. By the end, they're not really children's books anymore.

2. Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis.

A controversial one amongst scholars who study children's lit, some may not recommend on the basis of heavy biblical referencing. However, as someone who isn't religious, I must say that even I think that there's not much issue here. There are subtle links but nothing too serious that a child would pick up on, and they can just be left to enjoy the story and the whimsical characters.





Teen Fiction

1. If I Stay - Gayle Forman.

This is such a beautiful book. Every time I read it, it totally put life in to perspective. I would definitely recommend a read of this before you watch the film.

2. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green.

Everyone knows how much I loved this book. Most people will have already seen the film, which I loved, but sometimes I think if you watch the film and don't read the book, it takes away from the experience. So again, if by any chance, you haven't seen the film, read the book first.

3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky.

My all-time favourite book. It's so wonderfully written and completely hits the nail on the head when it comes to coming-of-age, introspective, intelligent teens. I actually saw this film before I read the book, and I had a completely different experience. The film is amazing, and anyone can watch it, the book, even more amazing, but it's not an easy read. With its sophisticated language, and heartbreaking storylines, it may not be easy but it's totally totally worth it. I've read it 3 times and I'll read it many more times in the future.




YA Fantasy Fiction

For me fantasy fiction was what I was reading when I discovered just how much I loved it, so very important to me, which is why there are 5.

1. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer.

I know a lot of people love this and a lot of people hate it, it's the marmite of literature, but I loved it, and when I read it in 2010, it was the first time since Harry Potter, that I'd read something I couldn't put down. These are great books, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

2. Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth.

These books are incredible. Fast-paced, exciting, and gut-wrenching at the same time, it's not wonder people love this series so much. The second book's film is being released in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. Plus, Veronica Roth, the author, wrote the first book when she was on Christmas break in her third year of College. She was published at 22, and is an amazing role model to all aspiring authors like myself.

3. Shadow Falls - C.C. Hunter.

This series is 5 books, about a girl who gets sent to a camp for delinquent teens, but it turns out to be something completely different. So good. I read the first three before the 4th and 5th came out and the wait was excruciating because they're just so brilliant. I'd definitely recommend these to anyone who enjoys fantasy fiction and is looking for an amazing series to read.

4. Hollow Trilogy - Jessica Verday.

I've read this trilogy twice because it's so beautiful. The story is wonderfully intriguing and had me turning the page over and over. These books incorporate the story 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' by Washington Irving into them and it all wraps up together so well. They're well thought out and well written, so much so that I did a presentation about the author Jessica Verday on my degree course.


5. Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine.

The last of my recommendations, but by no means the least. These were the first books I bought after Twilight, when I realised that I loved the genre so much. These I haven't really talked about before. I shared my love for them with someone who, at the time was a friend, I lent her my copies of the first two books three years ago and I've never got them back. I'm quite attached to my books, and when I had to wait for a new one in the series to come out, I wanted to re-read them all and I couldn't because I was missing some, so I haven't read these for a long time. However, they are amazing. Set in a town that seems normal at first but there's a big difference. The main character is so relatable and the story hops between fast-paced adventure and every-day life and it's such a great element because it makes the read so interesting. As my first real experience with fantasy fiction, I'd recommend these to anyone, however there are 15 books now so, be ready for a challenge! (I've included pictures of only the first 3 otherwise the list would be endless. :)



I hope I've made some good recommendations. And I hope you love them if you read them because of my reviews. If any of you have read these and loved/hated them, let me know, I'm always interested to find out what other people think :)


No comments:

Post a Comment