Monday, 10 August 2015

Vegan Recipe: Sweet Potato, Cauliflower, and Chickpea Curry.




This week I have decided to try some new vegan recipes and the first was such a success that I thought that I would share. I referred to a number of different recipes but in the end, I made it up as I went along and it worked out great.

Recipe makes 2 large or 3 medium portions. Depending on how much rice you serve too.


You will need...

For the Curry:

1 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
1/2 400g Tin of Chickpeas
1/2 Medium Cauliflower Head
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
2 Cups of Vegetable Stock
2 Cloves of Garlic (I used 4 but I LOVE garlic)
1 tsp Onion Powder (Because I don't like the texture of onion, you can substitute 1 small onion)
3 tbsp of Mild Curry Powder

For the Homemade Chapatis:

2 Cups of Plain Flour (plus extra for rolling)
1 Cup of Water
1/2 tsp each of Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder



The Cooking...

Curry:

Part boil the diced sweet potato until they begin to go soft but still hold shape.
In a new pan, heat garlic until golden then add the tin of chopped tomatoes.
Add onion powder and curry power.
Add the vegetable stock, raw cauliflower cut into small florets, and the 1/2 tin of chickpeas.
Add the sweet potato and leave to simmer for 15 minutes (you can cook rice and chapatis in this time)
Lastly add 2 handfuls of spinach and cook until wilted.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice of your choice and homemade chapatis.

Chapatis:

Mix 2 cups of plain flour with 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, salt and pepper.
Mix in 1 cup of water.
Split the dough into 4-6 equal parts and roll flat with hands or rolling pin.
Pop in frying pan for about 1 minute and 30 seconds each side. (I tend to think a little oil in the pan helps here, otherwise the end product is quite dry and floury on the outside).

Enjoy :) I certainly did.


1 comment:

  1. Hold on a second, let me mop up this drool. This looks spectacular!! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete